Translation work in progress, use Google for not yet translated posts

Translation work in progress, use Google for not yet translated posts

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Aswan Dams

As I wrote in previous post, the end of Nile trip was full of surprise. Missing the two dams was to be expected, but more surprising was how Terragear coped with water dislevel. Cross section of two dams taken from net and by me added flightgear situation.

water profile of Aswan dams area
Seen in flightgear:
nice downhill, isn't it?

Satelite photo, downhill slope situated roughly at red lines
big Aswan dam, HESN apt and water downhill position

The strange water profile inspired me to a joke. Departured from HESN with Beaver, landed on lake Nasser and slowly floated to slope position. Nice, I did downhill skiing on water.
dowhill skiing at Nasser lake

ended this way
OK, jokes aside. To create water step for Old Dam and to move (and to modify) water step for Big Dam I need to modify terrain, which I must first study how to do it.

But I can start create the two models. I rummaged the net a little, downloaded some photos here and there and I start modeling Old dam first.  It's not finished yet, I've only first draft, w/o textures, w/o details but I just tried to place it in terrain
Old Aswan Dam

my first draft of Old Dam
I can ride around the dam with a car, but my attempts to land on finished badly. Both Cessna and Dragonfly ended down in the water :(


 I decided to do it and do it well, so I started looking for other information, first of all, some drawings with measurements. I did not find anything on Egyptian sites just a bit 'of photos and tourist information. On the site of the governorate of Aswan (I think governorate is similar to our regions) I had big problems. It is meant to Egyptian citizens, so in Arabic, that Google translator would not be so bad, but those genes of authors have half of the site in the form of images, where the caption below is part of the picture, so it's not translatable.
I tried another way. Written e-mail to the Egyptian embassy to request information, not about dam itself, but who can I contact with my questiions. Now I am eagerly waiting for the answer.


Let's see how it continues, the worse I can get measurements from the photos on Google maps.


No comments:

Post a Comment